The N0XAS PicoKeyer-Plus Kit
IN STOCK and ready to ship.
World's most popular keyer? With thousands sold, it's quite possible!
|Degree of Challenge
|Side view||Top view||In the optional pre-drilled cabinet
|Click a picture for a larger view. You can add the optional custom cabinet using options at the bottom of this page.
After the success of the original PicoKeyer kit, I wanted to offer a PicoKeyer with everything mounted on-board, and do it in a nice enclosure. Now you can order your PicoKeyer-Plus kit with the enclosure ready to install your completed kit! The end panels are drilled for the controls and connectors, counter-bored for the nuts on the RIG and KEY jacks, and a set of speaker "grille" holes are drilled in the top cover.
This keyer has all of the features of the original PicoKeyer - and then some! The new Version 4 firmware adds a number of new features, including the ability to set the speed control upper and lower limits, auto-resume for pauses in stored messages, instant access to messages 2, 3 and 4 and more. The header and solder pads for external power, controls and outputs are still there, if you choose to build it without the on-board battery or need to build it into some other project. Parts are included for a Zener voltage regulator if you choose to go that route -- though the on board coin cell battery will last at least a couple of years of normal use!
The PicoKeyer Plus complete kit contains everything you need to build a stand-alone Morse code memory keyer and code practice oscillator with speed control. You can put it in a nice looking plastic box (available as an option, see below), build it into your next homebrew rig, or even retrofit it into your favorite commercial rig! At under 1.3" x 2", you can stuff this tiny board into some pretty tight spots. The latest PicoKeyer chip and all the parts you need are included, along with a high quality double-sided printed circuit board with plated-through holes and silkscreened component outlines. The setup/memory button and speed control are mounted on one end of the board, and the RIG and KEY jacks are on the other.
Code practice oscillator?? Yep! Since the PicoKeyer Kit includes a small on-board speaker and works with single or dual lever paddles and straight keys, you can use yours as a code practice oscillator to learn Morse with a straight key - or to learn to use a paddle or "squeeze" keyer if you want! You can even use "bug mode" to simulate a semi-automatic key and master this mode as well. Of course the on-board speaker is pretty small, so don't expect to use it in a noisy environment without a little extra help or some headphones. You can always add an audio amp and larger speaker if you need to.
The PicoKeyer is an advanced, super low power iambic keyer with a long list of standard features. The newest FLASH memory technology allows me to offer free updates - if I offer future program enhancements or fixes, just return your chip with two bucks to cover return shipping and get your chip updated to the latest revision.
Here are the main features of the PicoKeyer Kit:
- NEW - header connector makes it easier to build into your own gear or a custom cabinet!
- NEW - Includes voltage regulator components for optional external DC power!
- Low voltage operation - from 2.5 to 5.25VDC
- Ultra low current operation - typical sleep current well under 0.1ľA, only 1-2mA when keying. A single lithium coin cell can last many months, or a couple of years depending on use.
- Low parts count for quick, hassle-free assembly. Most builders with some experience report the average time to assemble is about 15 minutes. Figure under an hour even for beginners.
- PCB-mounted, 1/8" (3.5mm) jacks for your key and rig
- PCB-mounted speed control potentiometer
- On board lithium coin cell battery (included) and battery holder
- On board speaker for sidetone
- Dual 2N7000 keying output MOSFETs for solid-state rigs and some tube gear, handles up to 60 V positive or negative.
- Simple one-button "menu" setup
- Setup and message entry using your paddle
- Dot and dash memories for easy code with perfect timing and spacing
- Works equally well with single-lever or dual-lever keys using iambic "squeeze" or non-iambic keying
- Dual Speed feature - Speed is adjustable from 5 to 60WPM from the menu. You can use the speed control pot to adjust from 5 to 63 WPM, and instantly revert to the stored speed at any time!
- Speed control range (min/max) can be set to your preference
- Variable pitch audio sidetone can be turned OFF or ON
- MCW mode uses the keying output as PTT to send audio Morse code over voice radios - now you can practice Morse on the air with your friends using 2M or 70cm FM.
- Adjustable weight
- Selectable iambic Mode A or Mode B as well as Ultimatic mode
- Hands-free Tuneup mode lets you select a steady carrier or 50% duty cycle dits
- Beacon mode allows repeating messages with user-specified delay up to 99 seconds
- Straight key autodetect - plug in a straight key and cycle power, and the keyer will automatically use straight key mode with all memories available!
- Message pause - insert a pause to manually send RST or other information in the middle of a saved message.
- Four message memories hold up to 60 characters each, and can be chained together in any order to make up to a 240 character message. Message #1 can be set to auto-start when power is applied, great for propagation beacons.
- QSO/serial number can be inserted in a message, auto-incremented and decremented. You can set or reset the QSO number from the setup menu. Counts up to 65536, which should be enough for the biggest contests.
- Optional leading zeros can be sent for QSO numbers less than 3 digits.
- Cut numbers can be selected for QSO numbers in stored messages. Zeros, nines, both or neither can be selected.
- Transmitter QSK delay compensation - Lengthen elements by a preset number of milliseconds to correct for transmitters that tend to shorten dits and dahs in QSK mode.
- Paddle switching - effortlessly select left or right handed operation without switching wires or turning the key upside down
- NO BATTERY BACKUP REQUIRED to retain settings or memory!
- Easy to integrate into new homebrew or kit rigs, or add it to your older equipment.
- "Factory Reset" option to restore all default settings to your PicoKeyer
The PicoKeyer uses FLASH and EEPROM memory to store all settings and message memory, meaning NO backup batteries and NO lost settings.
The PicoKeyer-Plus kit includes the PicoKeyer chip, a high quality solder masked and silkscreened PCB, and all parts needed to build a complete keyer. Most users report that assembly takes around 15 to 30 minutes. Once the simple assembly is finished, the keyer may be mounted in an enclosure using the panel-mount key and radio jacks. Your kit carries a one year warranty. Documentation is available here in both English and German.
Clubs and other organizations:
If you are interested in a group purchase or are buying kits for Scout troops, Amateur Radio clubs, schools or other clubs or groups, quantity discounts are available. All domestic orders of more than 10 kits will be upgraded to Priority Mail shipping at no additional cost (does not apply to DX orders, sorry!).